On completion of the course you will receive a Mental Health First Aider certificate as well as a MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it.
This course focuses on developing peoples understanding of mental ill health, their skills when giving help to someone experiencing a mental health issue and how to improve wellbeing and to promote the recovery of good mental health.
The numbers are strictly limited to 12 people per course so please book early.
- To preserve life where a person may be at risk of harm to themselves or others
- To provide help to prevent the mental health issue from becoming more serious before professional help arrives
- To promote the recovery of good mental health
- To provide comfort to a person with a mental health issue
- To raise awareness of mental health issues in the community
- To reduce stigma and discrimination
- To improve own health and wellbeing
By the end of the course attendees will be able to;
- Recognise the symptoms of mental ill health
- Provide initial help
- Guide the person toward appropriate help
- Be mindful of their own wellbeing
The course will cover the following:
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Any adult working, volunteering or engaging with others on a regular basis.
Adrian Thomas, MHFA Instructor
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Please call Leesa 07863916867
Tickets on eventbrite - BOOK HERE